TCU Global Academy
The TCU Global Academy is an innovative study abroad program that brings together communities, organizations, TCU faculty, and students to explore global issues and solutions. This unique program gives students an opportunity to study a global issue in the classroom and then spend 1 – 2 weeks abroad working with organizations leading change. Students will explore multiple perspectives on the issue, see first-hand how other countries are solving problems, and engage in cooperative ways with community-driven projects.
In 2021, we are offering one Global Academy program:
- Sicily: INTL 30341 (on campus) and INTL 30342 (in Sicily)
Previous Global Academies include:
- South Africa
What does it take to be a global leader? It takes knowledge of global issues as well as skills such as collaboration, intercultural communication, and creativity. The Global Academy provides all of this and more! You will learn from a variety of experts providing different perspectives and work with innovative problem-solvers working on the ground, allowing you to develop and hone critical thinking, cultural sensitivity, task management, and communication skills.
Students in the Global Academy program must take both of the following courses, earning a total of 3 credits.
- INTL 30341: Exploration of Global Issues
- 1 credit, 8 weeks, on campus.
- This one hour seminar explores global issue(s) in an interdisciplinary context and prepares students for participation in global learning experiences. Various global issues that could be studied include sustainability, social justice, ethical leadership, healthcare, and development, with an emphasis on examining U.S. and global perspectives.
- INTL 30342: Engagement with Global Issues
- 2 credits, primarily in the abroad location
- This seminar challenges students to use an interdisciplinary lens as they engage in global contexts with people and issues in the world. The course uses onsite investigation, field trips, and guest lectures to provide diverse global perspectives on the global topic.
Course attributes: GA (Global Awareness) credit, Sustainability minor (with department approval)
The TCU Global Academy is designed for the student who is hungry for challenge and an engaging learning environment. Students who enroll in this program must be curious, willing to work collaboratively, and maintain a high work ethic.
What kind of credit is available?
The two courses, INTL 30341 and 30342, together count for GA
Will I be gone the whole semester?
No. You will take a course during the spring semester as part of your regular course load. The travel portion will take place in late May / early June
What will I gain from participating?
The Global Academy provides an exciting opportunity for applying education to practical field experience with cutting edge researchers and partners. You will become part of a prestigious team of individuals passionate about global issues,