TCU-In London – Roehampton
At this time, TCU will not require students to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to study abroad, to participate in an international program, or to participate in a domestic program away from the TCU campus unless proof of vaccine:
- is required by the national or local authorities in the program location,
- is required by the contracted program or logistical coordinator or the local program partner, or
- is required by third parties to access or participate in required program facilities or activities.
The COVID-19 vaccine is the single most important action travelers can take to protect themselves and protect the host community. TCU strongly advises all students to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to traveling. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns U.S. citizens to not travel until fully vaccinated.
For more information, see our COVID-19 Travel Requirements page and the specific requirement for TCU-in London – Roehampton students below.
TCU-In London – Roehampton is one of two flagship semester programs TCU offers in London. Home to more than 8 million people, London is one of the world’s most multicultural cities.
The University of Roehampton hosts about 10,000 students and is London’s only campus-based university, located in some of the city’s loveliest neighborhoods. Students live and take classes on the beautiful, parkland campus, interacting with British students on a daily basis.
Roehampton offers a wide array of courses including hard-to-find disciplines such as dance, kinesiology, and religion. The program is designed for students looking for an authentic British experience and immediate access to one of the world’s most cosmopolitan cities.
COVID-19 Vaccine not required at this time.
At this time, local COVID-related regulations and host country providers do not require full vaccination for participation in this program or to access facilities essential to the academic mission. Unvaccinated students are currently permitted to participate in this program but will be required to quarantine a minimum of 10-days upon arrival. Post-arrival COVID testing applies to all travelers.
Host country and provider requirements regarding COVID-19 are extremely fluid. All TCU study abroad students will be expected to fully comply with current vaccine requirements of the host country or host country provider.
- TCU cannot guarantee academic continuity should vaccine requirements change, thus preventing unvaccinated students from accessing educational spaces, residential facilities or services of the host university.
- Published cancellation fees will apply.
Please carefully consider how potential changes to vaccine requirements might impact your decision to study abroad.
TCU-In London – Roehampton students enroll directly in classes at the University of Roehampton. The courses (modules) are taught by Roehampton faculty, and TCU students take classes alongside British and international students.
Students enroll in 60 UK credits made up of any combination of 10 and 20 UK unit modules. (The 10 and 20 unit designations are embedded in the Roehampton course numbers.) Modules are worth 3 TCU credit hours if they show 10 in the module number, or 5 TCU credit hours if they have 20 in the module number. Course selections must range between 12 and 18 TCU credit hours.
- University of Roehampton’s Module Catalog – Fall 2021
- University of Roehampton’s Module Catalog – Spring 2022
Students receive TCU credit that applies towards the TCU GPA. As part of the application, students must have their courses pre-approved on the TCU Credit Approval Form.
For more information about how credits work, see our Study Abroad Basics page.
Group advising available to explain course options and the credit approval process
TCU students are required to live in residence halls on the University of Roehampton campus with British and other international students. Study abroad students are guaranteed on-campus housing if they meet application deadlines. Rooms are primarily single occupancy bedrooms with shared kitchen facilities, internet connections, and en-suite (private) bathrooms.
Room assignments occur after students are admitted to the program. Upon arrival, students receive bedding and kitchen packs that are included with the accommodations at no extra charge. There are plenty of cafes and diners on campus if you’re not sure of your culinary skills. Coffee shops and a thriving student union create a collegiate atmosphere much like TCU.
Any damages to housing will be posted to your TCU account after you return.
Semester Costs for 2021-2022
- London – Roehampton Program Fee: Fall 2021 – $5300 and Spring 2022 – $5900, collected as:
$500 Non-Refundable First Payment, to confirm your spot in the program after admission
$4800 (Fall) or $5400 (Spring) Remaining Balance/ Final Payment, billed to your TCU Student Account before the semester begins.
— Residence hall housing
— Bedding and kitchen packs
— Excursions through the Roehampton Social Programme
— TCU start-up and mid-term activities
- TCU Tuition: $25,785
- Estimated Additional Expenses: For other outside expenses not included in the program fee. London is an expensive city and individual budgets are highly variable. This may include:
— Airfare: $1,400
— Books: $200
— Class Excursions: $200
— Local Transportation: $300
— Meals/Groceries: $2,000
— Personal Expenses: $2,000
— Travel Expenses: Highly variable
Financial penalties are assessed on a sliding scale, based on withdrawal date.
|Percent of Program Fee:|
|70-90 days prior to the start of the program||25%|
|50-69 days prior to the start of the program||50%|
|15-49 days prior to the start of the program||75%|
|0-14 days prior to the start of the program||100%|
- To withdraw from a program, you must notify the Center for International Studies (email@example.com) in writing. Study abroad scholarships and aid will be rescinded and cannot be used towards penalty amounts.
- In the case that TCU must cancel the program, the program fee (including deposit) and tuition will be fully refunded. Study abroad scholarships and aid will be rescinded.
- Financial penalties will be billed to your student account.
- TCU Tuition refunds are subject to TCU policies :(See TCU Undergraduate Catalog: http://catalog.tcu.edu/undergraduate/, Bachelor’s Degree, Definitions and Regulations.)
Visit the Scholarships & Aid page to learn about study abroad scholarships, through TCU and other organizations. In particular, TCU-In London – Roehampton applicants should look at the:
- TCU Center for International Studies Scholarship
- Roehampton Vice Chancellor Scholarship for Diversity in Study Abroad
- BUTEX Scholarship for study in the UK
|Fall 2021||Program Start||September 15|
|Fall 2021||On-Site Orientation and Welcome Week||September 20 - October 1|
|Fall 2021||Classes Begin||October 4|
|Fall 2021||Classes End||December 17|
|Fall 2021||Latest Departure||January 2, 2022|
|Spring 2022||Program Start||January 12|
|Spring 2022||On-Site Orientation||January 12-15|
|Spring 2022||Classes Begin||January 17|
|Spring 2022||Spring Break||April 4 -15|
|Spring 2022||Final Exams||May 6 - 25|
|Spring 2022||Latest Departure||June 11|
Fall 2021 Applications will open in late February
- Minimum 2.8 GPA; petitions may be considered
- At least two semesters in residence at TCU by the start of the program
- Good academic and disciplinary standing at TCU
- A valid passport (that will not expire until at least 6 months after your return)
- Fall Programs
- Priority Deadline: April 1
- Regular Deadline: April 15
- Spring Programs
- Priority Deadline: September 15
- Regular Deadline: October 1
If applications exceed enrollment maximums, a lottery system will determine admission.
- Complete the Global TCU Study Abroad Forms. (already started an application? Login here to finish it).
- This step includes completing a Credit Approval Form for your courses abroad.
- Complete the Roehampton Online Application. You will need to create an account and then proceed with the application.
- Submit your completed Credit Approval Form and two official 2×2 passport-sized photos (obtained at Walgreens, CVS, etc.) to Reed 214.
Study Abroad programs often include field components that require the ability to perform tasks beyond what is expected in a typical classroom. Many programs require extensive walking and/or the ability to stand for extended periods of time; the ability to independently use public transportations; and/or sleeping in shared quarters. Program and housing facilities may lack central heat and air-conditioning, elevators, and other conveniences. Unless prior accommodations have been made through TCU Student Disabilities Services, students must be able to transport and manage own luggage through airports and public transportation centers.
Managing your health and safety is an important component in having a positive experience abroad. TCU provides you with a number of resources to assist you:
- Prior to departure, you will need to attend the mandatory orientation which covers specific health, safety, logistical, and cultural information.
- Upon arrival, you will have an orientation to reiterate health, safety, logistical, and cultural information.
- TCU provides you membership to On Call International, a premier Global Assistance program. You can call On Call for any kind of travel, health, safety, or emergency issues, including:
- help replacing a lost passport
- help translating and interpreting
- help with lost luggage, along with reimbursement for items needed while luggage is lost
- assistance finding general and specialty health care
- assistance with emergency refills of prescription
- health insurance for your time abroad.
For more information, please see Health, Safety & Emergencies
The UK requires a visa only for student interns and students planning to stay in the UK for more than 6 months. If this applies to you, you’ll need to apply for a visa at least 6 weeks prior to departure. Biometrics (fingerprints) are now required for the UK visa application. See gov.uk/apply-uk-visa. Visas are approximately $600 and may be charged to Visa or MasterCard.
Do not plan to travel outside the U.S. during the two months prior to your semester abroad because you must surrender your passport when you apply for a visa. Visa processing for the UK can take 3 – 6 weeks.
You MUST have a round-trip ticket prior to departure for your program abroad.
You must attend the mandatory TCU-In London – Roehampton orientation. You should also review the TCU-In London – Roehampton handbook and information about Preparing to Depart and Health, Safety & Emergencies.
Arrival and On-Site Information
Upon arrival, Roehampton staff will meet you at the airport and provide transportation to campus. During your first days in London, you’ll participate in Roehampton’s orientation before classes begin.
Because you are not enrolled in TCU classes, the TCU system will show 12 hours of coursework as a placeholder while you are abroad. Your classes will not transfer back to TCU until 8 – 12 weeks after the semester ends. At that time, the correct credit hours will be posted to your TCU record.
For more information about making the most of your experience abroad, see our While Abroad page