Academic Advice & Regulations
Review the Academic Regulations – Semester here.
Keep copies of all syllabi, class assignments, and papers for verification of the work you completed abroad.
Register online for classes and sign-up for TCU Housing just like any other term at TCU. Keep in mind that your enrollment appointment is according to U.S. Central Time!
We hope your goal is to learn about and respect cultural differences, to continually be curious and open-minded, and to discover your own identity and cultures. Read about Cultural Learning. To make the most of your study abroad experience, we encourage you to:
- Join a local club or society (often offered through your university or study abroad provider) to connect with local and other international students
- Take advantage of the field trips and cultural activities coordinated by your program
- Find a language partner and practice the local language as much as possible
- Take pictures and video, keep a journal or blog, and reflect on your experiences
- Don’t travel too frequently, so you can more fully experience your host city and country
- Limit your time online
When you go abroad, the “rules” for behaving and the “meanings” behind attitudes and actions change. They can seem confusing, strange, and even stupid. This reaction is called “culture shock.” Culture shock is a normal response to living in a new environment, and you may experience feelings of isolation, confusion, superiority, and negativity. You might even have physical reactions such as fatigue, depression, weight gain, acne, etc.
Studying abroad involves a rollercoaster of emotions, but there are ways to combat culture shock and enjoy your time abroad. Learn how to combat culture shock in our Cultural Learning guide.
If you become sick while abroad:
Contact On Call International at +1 603-952-2062 and also contact your local on-site staff. On Call provides emergency services, medical referrals, and insurance while abroad. You must contact On Call for payment and arrangement of all services. Certain services are not reimbursable if you make your own arrangements prior to notifying On Call.