SUMMER PRE-DEPARTURE INFORMATION
What you get out of your trip will grow exponentially as a function of your preparation. The more you read and learn about your destination and upcoming experience, the better it will be. Talk to others who have been abroad and get insider tips from them.
Be sure to do the following:
- Carefully watch the Health, Safety, and Student Conduct pre-departure session online.
- Attend pre-departure orientation meetings with your faculty leader.
- Make copies and scans of important documents, such as passports. Bring a copy of your itinerary to the Center for International Studies.
- Purchase your plane ticket and give an itinerary to the Center for International Studies and your faculty leader.
- Review the emergency plan.
- Review health information, including the Country Guide from International SOS. Consider your personal health and be sure you can handle your health needs in a new and challenging environement. See a doctor and dentist for health check-ups and to discuss health-related issues for traveling. Request enough prescription medicine for your entire stay.
- Review safety information for your destination, including the Security Guide from International SOS and information from the Department of State.
- Consider how you will pay expenses and / or receive money while abroad. Make an emergency plan for lost or stolen credit cards. Consider giving parents power of attorney to act on your behalf.
- Think carefully about what to pack, keeping in mind you must manage all your luggage by yourself, and space may be limited in your accommodations.
- Review Academic Regulations and Code of Conduct
- Learn more about your country and culture by reviewing such sites as: